19 August 2006

blogging from Bayreuth

The hotel has a single public computer in its lobby, so I'll be brief. I'm here after a lengthy trip, made worse by wasting an hour in the wrong line at SFO. Every flight out of there is like the last plane out of Saigon anyway. I also didn't realize that it took three trains and five and a half hours to get from Munich to Bayreuth. I walked around when I arrived. Bayreuth is a pretty, quiet town. Parts look just like America and other parts are very different (for instance, the keyboards are different and the y is where the z should be, which makes typing difficult). I came across a klezmer band on the Maximilianstrasse this morning; they were playing If I Were a Rich Man, which is a nice irony on several levels.
The hotel is nice and is modern (which means it has kind of an early 80s look) so the quaintness factor is limited but the breakfast buffet more than makes up for it. There was a sign on the hall window asking guests to keep it closed during the night because of bats. I wondered briefly if the fledermaus reference was some sort of warning against the insidious world of operetta, but I think they mean it literally.
I'm still pretty tired, so I'm not being as clever and insightful as I hoped, and this keyboard is driving me nuts, so I'll go rest up before the first opera: Parsifal, this afternoon.

No comments: